Because digital photography has greatly blurred the lines between professional and amateur photography, it has become easier than ever to make money with your digital camera.Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
Making money from photography as a hobby
The affordability of digital photography has made it possible for almost anyone to take it up as hobby. New technology and free photo-editing software now also allow amateurs to create professional-looking photographs. This has made it increasingly easy for non-professionals to make a little money with their photography skills.
Internet and social media sites have made it possible for anyone to market themselves as a photographer and to offer their services to clients. There are also websites like Deviantart that allow you to sell prints of your photographs. Other than that, you will find numerous stock image websites on the internet that will potentially buy and use your photographs.
And don’t forget that you can print your photographs and sell them as crafts or artworks. You can sell them at markets, or, if they are good enough, through local galleries or art dealers.
Making money from freelance photography
Working as a freelance photographer means being self-employed and only working on short term projects. This can also mean that you can work as a part-time photographer while having a full-time job.
Here are some tips for becoming a successful freelance photographer:
- You don’t have to buy expensive gear: Renting equipment is a more affordable part-time alternative.
- Get out of your comfort zone: Take jobs that intimidate or challenge you. This way you’ll learn more and eventually earn more.
- Select a focus: Though you may accept any kind of job that comes your way, specialisation will mean that you can market yourself better (this is how many wedding photographers start out).
- Create a good website with daily updates: Digital marketing is the cornerstone of freelance photography these days.
- Pay attention to your business: Create schedules, budgets and standard fee-rates.
- Customer service is king: Don’t underestimate the importance of professionalism and good service when working with clients. Word-of-mouth advertising will get you a lot of jobs.
Making money as a full-time photographer
There are many career opportunities for photographers. As a full-time photographer, you can earn a stable income through permanent or contract employment.
Companies that hire full-time photographers might include:
You might also find full-time work as an assistant to a professional photographer. And don’t forget that starting your own photography business is also always an option.
Getting the right training
Regardless of where you find a job, or in what capacity you eventually work, there is one fundamental truth that always applies:
The better your photographs are, the more money you will be able to earn.
The Learning Group offers the following course for this reason:
This course will help you develop your skills and teach you how to take and edit professional-looking photographs. Moreover, in this course, you will even learn howto make money with your camera!