What is Effective Business English?
Good English is the key to your career!Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
South Africa, as we all know, is a changing and developing country. Jobs are at a premium, and never before has communication been so important in the world of work. It is the key to a successful career – and the job providers speak mostly English.
The Language School offers you an opportunity to improve your Business English communication skills, thereby enhancing your job opportunities and increasing your income. Speak the language that is universally accepted as the language of international trade, commerce and travel – NOW!
Effective Business English (EBE) provides a practical means of learning the intricacies of Business English, and explains in detail how to communicate effectively, simply, and concisely. Both written and spoken English are covered in some detail. Also covered is the less tangible but equally important art of correct verbal and non-verbal communication with customers or co-workers. In addition, a new section covers the effective use of Electronic Mail as a medium.
One of the most important aspects in Business English is correct pronunciation, and this is covered through the use of audio CDs that provide a model for correct pronunciation and phrasing of English Business words. Audio CDs also aid in learning some of the rules of spelling, and more will appear in future as a supplement to the written section of this course.
When communicating in Business English, there are a few principles that we should follow:
Clarity: Make sure that your communications are composed carefully and expressed clearly. Pronounce your words clearly and with as little accent as possible.
Brevity: Communicate effectively by making your message short and to the point. Keep things simple.
Purpose: Think carefully about the purpose of your communication. Say precisely what you mean.
Tone: Adopt a pleasant and persuasive tone rather than a demanding or aggressive one.
If you are employed by a company that uses English as the main form of communication and you are unsure of your English skills, then you should study this course.
Positions in management and administration require not only a thorough knowledge of the company’s product or service, but also communication skills – in written as well as verbal form. In business, both verbal and writing skills in English are vital to the successful execution of your duties. The ability to convey one’s ideas and instructions internally through memos and reports, and externally through contact with customers, buyers and other businesses, is now recognised as a vital facet of good management. The Certificate in Effective Business English will teach you these skills, and will thereby make your whole work experience easier, more productive, and more personally rewarding.
Basic literacy skills and a passion for success!
Recommended 12 months of study
• Lesson 1 – Know the language: Sentence Construction, Parts of Speech, Plurals, Punctuation, Paragraphs, Capitals
• Lesson 2 – Use the language correctly: Vocabulary, Sentence Construction, Business Terminology, Vital points, Idioms, Abbreviations
• Lesson 3 – Writing with Clarity, Brevity, and Courtesy: Structuring a Letter, Layout, Enclosures, Envelopes
• Lesson 4 – Spelling is so important: Vowels, Consonants, Syllables, Spelling Tools, Common Spelling Errors, Aids to good spelling
• Lesson 5 – Understand what you read: Comprehension, Aids to understanding
• Lesson 6 – Know what kind of letter is required: Outgoing letters, Incoming letters
• Lesson 7 – Inter-office communication: Memos, Reports, Agendas, Press releases
• Lesson 8 – Electronic mail: Configuration, Formatting, Composing, Replying, Etiquette, Company computers, Internet security
• Lesson 9 – Communication through body language: What is it?, Why is it valuable?, Recognising the signs
• Lesson 10 – Human relations in the workplace: Reception, Answering telephones, Addressing customers, Getting along with people
• Lesson 11 – Pronunciation: Starting with Audio, Words, Vowels, Consonants, Syllables
Assessment and Award
Once you have successfully completed the course, you will be awarded a Certificate in Effective Business English.
Please note that this programme is not registered on the NQF, and as such it is not a credit-bearing programme.